Hi, ya’ll! And Happy Over-the-Hump Day! I have a very special treat for you! You may recall my cover reveal for Tyrean Martinson’s Champion In The Darkness a couple of weeks ago. I’m not exactly sure on what blog Tyrean and I first met, but I LOVE her! And today, she’s baaack, with a very creative list of 18 Things. Her tie-in made me smile . . . Enjoy!
Inspired by Jamie’s book 18 Things, I thought it would be fun to create an 18 Things list for my main character, Clara, from Champion In the Darkness. I imagine that these are Clara’s 18 Things from the beginning of her story. Unlike Olga, I think this is Clara’s lifetime list. She doesn’t necessarily get to fulfill all of them in the book, but she gets in a little less than half of them. (I won’t say which ones)
Clara’s 18 Things:
1. Enter the Chamber of Swords, and choose a blade of power, the kind only carried by Sword Masters in the land of Septily.
2. Become a Sword Guard like her mom, or a Sword Scout like her unofficial mentor, Stelia.
3. Sneak into the castle and gather information about the King’s Shadow Guards, a mercenary group he hired to replace his Sword Guards.
4. Spar with her friend Salene nearly every day of her life.
5. Be the best Sword Master she can be.
6. Learn how to play an instrument like her dad.
7. Find out about her mom’s secretive past.
8. Protect her country from any outside attack, especially from the Drinaii army and the Dark Sisterhood led by Kalidess.
9. Travel to all seven districts of Septily to complete her training.
10. Go sailing.
11. Travel to the Far Isles, to Destiny Island, and the Trader’s Cove.
12. Swim in the ocean by the Far Isles.
13. Visit Aerland, the country of the griffins and the griffin riders.
14. Fly on a griffin.
15. Haggle with a Trader from Trader’s Cove.
16. Go on a quest.
17. Play the most memorable prank in Septily, ever, but not something that would get her in trouble or cause any damage.
18. Fall in love.
If you want to know more about Clara and which of these 18 things she gets to do, check out Champion In the Darkness.
And I highly encourage you to read Jamie Ayres’ 18 Things. It’s an inspiring book!
*Awww, thanks girlfriend!! And I highly encourage YOU to read Champion In the Darkness!! Can I just say that my favorites from Clara’s list were: #18, #17, #16, and #10! Thanks for sharing, Clara!*
Clara is younger than most trainees, but she is ready to hold a Sword Master’s blade. While visions and ancient prophecies stand in her way, they also offer a destiny unlike any other. Clara is aided by a haunted mentor, Stelia, whose knowledge of their enemy Kalidess is both a bane and a blessing. As evil threatens their land, Clara and Stelia must find the strength to overcome the darkness.
*Champion in the Darkness is YA Christian Fantasy, and is the first book in the Champion Trilogy*
Tyrean Martinson lives and writes in the Pacific Northwest, encouraged by her multi-talented husband and daughters. She likes to write, read, teach, ski, bicycle, walk, and sometimes she likes to sing and dance in the rain.
Using her degree in Secondary Education with an emphasis in English, Tyrean homeschools her two daughters and teaches writing and literature classes at a homeschool co-op.
Tyrean has been published in e-zines like Every Day Poets, Every Day Fiction and Mindflights, and a few print anthologies like The Best of Every Day Poets and Sunday Snaps: The Stories. Champion in the Darkness is her first book, but she plans to write many more.
Champion in the Darkness can be found at these links:
Tyrean Martinson can be found at these links:
Thanks so much, Tyrean! And now, completely off subject . . . I know this video has been going around the web for the past month, but I just got the chance to watch it today and wanted to share the Pep Talk from Kid President (AKA Soulpancake).